Golden Brush Awards Winners AnnouncedDecember 2, 2013
The Golden Brush Awards Dinner and Auction was held November 30 at the Seniors Centre in Chemainus.
The recipients of the awards for 2013 were:
- Retail Business of the Year: Rexall Drug Store
- Food Service Business of the Year: Willow Street Café
- Manufacturing Business of the Year: Vancouver Island Soap Factory
- Personal Service Business of the Year: Urban Legends Salon and Spa
- Professional Service Business of the Year: Island Savings, Chemainus Branch
- Trades or Contractor Business of the Year: B&H Tire
- Good Neighbour Award: 49th Parallel Grocery (for a business that goes out of its way to cater to local residents and promotes local shopping)
- Customer Service Award: Shelley MacKenzie, Rexall Drug Store
- Volunteer of the Year: This was a tie, so two awards were given: Shannon Bellamy and Ruth Schiller
- President’s Award: Wes Everitt
The Golden Brush selection process begins when area residents and businesses are asked to nominate who they feel are the best in each of the categories. This year there were 211 nominations for 71 businesses nominated in seven categories and 33 individuals nominated in three categories.
Next a panel of local residents considers all the nominations in each category and narrows it down to three finalists in each category. This year there were three exceptions to this: Four finalists were chosen in two categories and five in the Volunteer of the Year category.
The finalists who received the award were selected by a voting process by the Chamber membership at large.